home Photobucket about Photobucket featured Photobucket favorite posts

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

From Bad to Worse! My biggest blooper yet!

Have you ever have one of those days where things just
don't go the way you imagined they would??? 

I always have big plans that go quickly,
 smoothly and work out beautifully. 
Then reality sets in. 

For those of you that don't know, I have 2 boys.  I love my boys but when boys get older and sweat, they really smell.  I mean they really can stink up a home.  Well I went on a cleaning frenzy one day and decided to Febreeze everything that could absorb odor.  Blindly I grabbed a bottle from under the kitchen sink and sprayed away.  I held nothing back.  Shortly after I had completed one of my boys rooms I began to notice that the spray didn't smell right.  Nope, not right at all.  I was holding the Clorox Clean-Up bottle.  Yep, I was so engrossed in ridding the smelly boy smell that I didn't realize I grabbed the wrong bottle. 

Fortunatley the only injured party in my frenzy was the red, Pottery Barn curtains that now were freckled with white spots.  As nasuea set in I put on a brave face in front off the kids, so that they couldn't tease me to much.  The curtains have remained spotted for a few months now.


This is not in just one spot.  Each exposed ripple was peppered with bleach.

To top it off, I didn't realize how bad the sun had naturally bleached out the inside hem of the curtains.

When I saw Sarah's DIY Striped drapes at The Yellow Cape Cod


And Meredith's awesome painted striped shower curtain at Welcome to Heardmont

I knew that I could add white fabric to the curtains and stripe them up to help cover the bleach.
Next I would paint over the remaining red fabric and give it new life.

Sound good right??  WRONG!!
Everything went smoothly with the white fabric.  I actually used blackout liner so that the red would not show through.  The flaw in the plan was to use acrylic craft paint instead of fabric paint.  I was to lazy to run to Michaels for the fabric paint and Joann's didn't have any.  The paint easily rolled on with a foam roller.  I used a sponge craft  brush to cover the worse spots.  I hung the first panel that night.  It looked great!

Until the next morning....


Can you see the dark paint splotches??  Not good!

So what should I do?  Do I get new solid red drapes or do I go with cheap white ones and add red stripes?
I kind of like the lighthouse look!

I am joining Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays!
I definatley think this is a WOW moment!

14 comments:

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

aww..too bad b/c those were really looking great! Can you repaint with the correct paint or sew red fabric on top of it? Surely there's a way to save those curtains! It sounds like something I'd do. Loving the stripes though!

Lori said...

Mmm, just curious Lacy Lou but exactly how did you add the white stripes? Did this involve a sewing machine?? Could it be?? Haha (Inside joke for the rest of your fans) Sorry, just couldn't resist :-)) I'm truely sad that the project went downhill with the red paint but you know I'm a BIG fan so know you'll come up with something great! And BTW, stinky boys?? My g'sons?? Surely you're mistaken?!! :-))))

Olive said...

How about Rit dye? But you have already done the sewing. Anyway you tried really hard.

Pam Kessler said...

I'm loving the red and white stripe look. Sorry it didn't end well. Wonder if you went over it with frabric paint this time it would even out the dark splotches?

Divine Theatre said...

How about another coat or two of paint?
How frustrating! We have all been there!
I am your newest floower...and I have made my fair share (or moreso) of mistakes!
Roll with it!

~Andie

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Oh, my! How I feel for you! First thing I would have to do is walk away from them for a few days so I could think straight! LOL! What a dilemma. Whatever you choose, I know they'll look great! The stripe sure is a good idea though!

Emily said...

I feel for you! I love the look that you are going for, red and white stripes. I had been looking for solid red curtains for the longest time...the red PBK panels that I had my eye on sold out so quick that I had to keep searching. I (after going with my second choice of Navy Blue) found some surprisingly cute red curtain panels at Wal-Mart. They are almost the exact red as the PBK panels. Good luck!
-emily
nestnestingnested.blogspot

Unknown said...

I am always afraid I will pick up the wrong bottle. It probably is the result of a childhood trauma. When I was 19 my uncle moved in with my mom, me and my little sister. He and I were sharing a bathroom and he was getting ready to go on a date and thought he would use some of my hairspray. He grabed the can of "hairspray" and began covering his carefully styled hair. My sister came in a told him he smelled funny and I mom asked what he put on his hair. Traci's hairspray he said. But I was out of hairspray, he had instead sprayed Nair hair remover all over is hair. His hair smelled like new perm for over a month but at least it didn't fall out.
So I always check the cans and bottles to make sure I have the right thing.
Traci

Diane Writes said...

From afar, the paint splotches are not evident. I am not in these things too, I admit. But to make you feel better, I must say that I love your boys' room. Its so organized, clean and so relaxing with the view of a beautiful greenery.

I wish you a better and more wow wednesdays. I hope we could also develop a connection by following each others blogs. That would really make me happy. ;)

The Yellow Cape Cod said...

What a bummer. They will look great when your done. Thanks for the shout out. Good luck, Lacy. -Sarah

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm sorry..but it doesn't sound like you are too discouraged! I like going with the white and adding stripes! ♥

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Lacy, Don't you just hate it when things go wrong? What a shame they didn't work out but I know you will get creative and fix it. Thanks for sharing this at my party.
Hugs,
Sherry

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Oh, me oh, my! So sorry about grabbing the wrong bottle. Reminds me of when I was staying at a friends house and I grabbed her bottle of final net hair spray and was spraying it on my hair and then I smelled the bleach smell. The bottle was filled with bleach and not marked! Ugh. I had to quickly wash it out. I think I would just get some new drapes. Thanks for joining WUW.

René said...

I know what you mean - mine are a bit uneven looking at times, but with paint it is hard to get it just right. Have you looked at the stripes at IKEA?